VECTOR CONTROL SYSTEM
FULLY PARAMETRIC, OPEN ARCHITECTURE DESIGN TOOL
FOR RAPIDLY DEVELOPING VECTOR DRIVE PRODUCTS
- Dr. Sidman's comprehensive simulation model integrates motor electrodynamics, mechanical load dynamics
digital control system dynamics.
- Parameters are easily modified
- Visually intuitive, interconnected, on-screen block diagrams
- Internal states of the motor, vector controller, mechanics and electronics are readily observed
- Intuitive, instructive GUI block diagrams with scopes
- Model is customized and parameterized for your product application
- Instruction on model usage
Model typically includes:
- Robust, stand-alone state-space 3Ø AC induction motor model with standard
- Park and Clark transformations between 3Ø stator and
d-q field-oriented coordinates
- Feedforward field orientor
- Rotor flux estimator
- Field weakening
- Slip calculator
- Flux torque calculator
- Voltage decoupler
- Peak voltage and
- Sample time and A/D quantization effects
- Current, flux, voltage,
torque and speed controllers
- PWM voltage or hysteretic current control
- DC link
- Inverter voltage saturation
- Mechanical load dynamics
- Structural flexibility (resonances)
- Electrical and mechanical power measurement
- Sensor dynamics
This is a comprehensive, mature and adaptable simulation model developed by an expert in
dynamic systems modeling and motor
control systems. It will save the time, frustration and
considerable expense of attempting to do it in house from scratch. The model still
allows designers the freedom to easily change both the simulation model
structure and parameters as they later see fit. Designers are able to develop a
product more rapidly, saving significant time in prototyping.
This tool allows product designers to rapidly develop and
optimize a complete vector drive product and directly observe the closed-loop performance
and interaction of an AC induction motor, an attached mechanism, DC link and the
digital vector controller. Although many variable speed AC motor applications require the high performance offered
by vector control, the time and cost to develop and optimize a complete
simulation model of this kind can be daunting.
This fully parametric, open architecture simulation model and design tool is based on MATLAB
and SIMULINK, and allows users to explore a multitude of what-if possibilities, tune performance
and debug any problems before or concurrent with prototype development. The user has
direct visual access to the internal states of each of the interconnected and
simultaneously operating electrical, mechanical and control portions of the system. The
designer may also evaluate the effect of worst-case component tolerances, fairly evaluate
competing control and sensing schemes, and explore the closed-loop effect of various
loads, including mechanical resonances and friction.
Designers can observe the closed-loop
performance and simultaneous interaction of AC induction motor electrodynamics, a complex
mechanical load and the vector drive digital control dynamics, as well as
predict and correct harmful interactions.
The 3Ø AC induction motor simulation model may be run on other controllers
or under load without a controller at all.
- Elevators, HVAC, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Propulsion
- Engine and Vehicle Dynamometers
- Variable Speed AC Motor Drives
- Belt Drive Systems
- Robotics and Material Handling
- Precision AC Servo Systems
- Machine Tool and Industrial Control
Typical display of just several of the many scope views available
in this simulation model:
A 40 HP motor is already spinning as the vector control system is turned
The torque response is seen to be equally responsive both at high and very low speeds.
Return to Customized
Simulation Models and Design Tools
MATLAB and SIMULINK Training is available.
©2017 Sidman Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
MATLAB and SIMULINK are registered trademarks of The MathWorks, Inc.